Monday, January 2, 2012

How the Tans survived the Holidays

Happy New Year, everyone!

It's been a busy, tiring but fun couple of weeks because of the holidays.  I thought with Ben taking a break from his classes that our schedule won't be that hectic but I was mistaken, hehe! With all the family gatherings, days off by the helpers and general cleaning of the house, I'm glad that we're now back to our regular routine.  Here are some things I've learned during the holidays.

1. Have realitistic expectations
It's the holidays, everyone seems in the mood to meet up but with a toddler and the heavy traffic, you have to ask yourself if you can really accommodate everyone.  Both the Velasco and Tan side have Christmas gatherings on the 24th.  For the past two years, we attempted to party-hop but no success.  The lesson to be learned here is to accept that you can just can't jump from one venue to another anymore.  Sometimes, you really have to choose.  How about alternating parties like going to one side this year and to the other one next year?  It's better to stay long at a gathering to have quality time with the people in it anyway.

2. Ask help when needed
Over the Christmas break, I had to (1) go Christmas gift and grocery shopping with Ben in tow and (2) spend almost 3 days with limited assistance from yaya or Bry because of the general cleaning.  What kept me sane was charming kind-hearted people for help.  My angels were the supermarket baggers who helped me with the groceries and my mom's helpers who help fed and played with Ben.  I get so excited whenever I get to spend quality time with Ben but thankful  that I had back-up

3. Take small frequent meals
I always bring some snacks for Ben whenever we leave the house. (He shares them with me, too!)  That way we're not cranky even if the dinners end up late.  To be honest, I have to patience to feed Ben on an empty stomach so I have eat, too! Ben and I love bananas.  It has been my comfort food and it seems my little master can't say no to it as well

4. Naps, Naps, Naps
Sometimes, all it takes is 30 minutes of shut-eye to make mommy and baby happy.  If the schedule is hectic, I try to at least get Ben to nap at the car on the way to out destination.  More often than not, he seems to be in a better mood when he wakes up.

5. Bring extra clothes
I admit, I am a messy feeder.  Which is why I always try to remind myself to pack along some extra clothes along with Ben's.  You'll never know when you need to go straight from on place to another without having the time to go home and change.

6. Remember the Reason for the Season
Despite the hectic schedule, the highlight of my Christmas is completing the Simbang Gabi  and going through Fr. Johnny Go's online recollection .  It's a way of looking back and thanking the Lord for all the wonderful blessings.

Wishing you all a blessed (and fun-filled) 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment