Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Breastfeeding when mommy is sick :(

It's finally August!!! HAPPY WORLD BREASTFEEDING MONTH!!!

I've been thinking about what to share as my first entry for the month and have decided to talk about my experiences breastfeeding while I wasn't feeling well.  Actually, I'm not yet 100% but am doing better thanks to the TLC of my boys.  Bry bought my medicines in the middle of the night and Ben was quite cooperative.   Anyway, here's hoping these tips might help.  Whenever I'm sick, I tell myself that better I'm the one and not Ben but lets face it, it's hard on the household regardless of whoever is "out of commission".

TIP # 1 Stay Calm
 We all get sick one time or another.  Even adult have the colds every now and then.  When we are calm and collected, we get to diagnose ourselves better and take a plan of action.  In my case, my weakness is my allergic rhinitis.  It's a bit funny because Ben has this too.  Knowing that my sniffles are due to my allergies help me figure out which treatment I can take while breastfeeding

TIP # 2 Yes, Nursing Moms, there are medicines that are safe for us
There are a lot of medicines that are safe for breastfeeding moms, especially in short-term dosages.  Paracetamol is one of them.  I learned this from fellow moms and eagerly shared this fact when I gave my breastfeeding testimonial at Medical City the other day.  The internet is a fairly good resource to find out if a certain medication is safe but of course, it is best to consult your doctor to be on the safe side.       

TIP # 3 Take precautions for your little one
If you have the sniffles, consider wearing a face mask.  Wash your hands before nursing.  This is also the reason why the earlier you treat your symptoms, the better. 

TIP # 4 Delegate your non-breastfeeding duties so you can rest
While I was sick, Bry was a superdad.  He played with Ben, bathe him  and took him to school.  I did my best to rest and save my energy for his feeding time.  Please take note that YOUR MILK SUPPLY IS AFFECTED WHEN YOU ARE SICK BUT IT WILL RETURN ONCE YOU FEEL BETTER so if you decide to pump and let someone else feed while you rest, do not be surprised if your yield is a little lower.

TIP # 5 Prevention is the best cure
Take vitamins, drink lots of fluids and watch what you eat.  Don't let yourself go outside on a rainy day without a jacket or umbrella.  Take Care of yourself the way you would take care of the rest of your family.  A healthy mom is a happy mom and a happy mom - a happy home.:)








 

No comments:

Post a Comment