Friday, May 3, 2013

NICU Diaries: Breastfeeding talk at the Hospital Nursery

Ahia Ben visits his shobes



I spent almost 2 weeks at our hospital's nursery feeding the twins. During that time, I heard a lot of things about breastfeeding / feeding newborns. Just wanted to share my thoughts about them

1. Breastfeeding is best for baby - this one is something I agree with. Breastfeeding has a lot of benefits for both mom and baby that can't be found elsewhere.

 2. Know how to hand express - I honestly think all moms who are interested in breastfeeding should be taught how to hand express milk before leaving the hospital. I learned how to do it during Ben's second month. In the case of the twins, it became a lifesaver during their early days. I think I was able to express more milk by hand than the pump when I was just starting. Anyway, the skill costs nothing and comes in quite handy during emergencies (and not noisy, too, hehe)

 3. Avoid using the pump as it will damage your breast - Direct feeding may be the prefered way to feed your baby but a pump can be your best friend if you use it properly. Try not to go over 20 minutes when pumping and massage to help unclog your milk ducts

 4. "I just came here an hour ago for a feeding, gutom na naman?" - Isn't this the story of every mom during the first few weeks of breaatfeeding? With the twins, I lose count how many times I feed them especially at night. When it comes to newborns, you watch the baby and not the clock. Easier said than done though, but hopefully frequent feedings will lead to more supply

 5. "Doc, can you please prescribe me formula milk just in case?" I've encountered moms who were sent home with recommendations from their pediatrician as to which brand of formula milk to use just in case they want to stop breastfeeding or start mixfeeding. I hope these doctors were able to explain to the moms the benefits of breastfeeding before talking about what kind of formula milk to give. I am not anti-formula, but I am for encouraging moms to breastfeed for as long as they can, and letting them of the benefits so they can make an informed choice.

 6. "She is a lactation consultant" - Strictly speaking, a lactation consulatant is one that is internationally certified. We only have a handful of them in the country. Then there are lactation counselors like us in L.A.T.C.H , who voluntarily provide support to moms. Then there are lactation therapists/masseuse. All of them can be helpful in your breastfeeding journey if you match your requirements with their skills.

 Hope this info is helpful especially for new mommies. Good luck :)

2 comments:

  1. wonderful realizations Nats!! hope to see you next Sat!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss Jenny! Yes, will do my best to "escape" from the girls for a few hours for the LATCH photo shoot :)

      Delete