Thursday, June 13, 2013

Behind Every Breastfeeding Mom is a Supportive Dad


This Father's Day, I would like to honor these special men in my life by sharing how important their support has been in being able to breastfeed Ben and now, Bree and Bea.  One would think that breastfeeding is just the mom's responsibility.  But the truth is, a mom will find it very hard to breastfeed if she isn't supported by her husband (and dads).

Bry and I started our breastfeeding journey with Ben without attending any seminar or training.  It was tough because Ben fed frequently and even if we knew breastfeeding was best, we actually didn't know specifically why it is so.  Over time, as I was researching how to improve my supply, I also found out the many reasons why breastfeeding is best.  I'd share these with Bry who became even more supportive as he was more informed of its benefits.

It doesn't take a big gesture to support a breastfeeding mom.  It's the little things that mean a lot.  In our case, Bry would make sure I'm hydrated.  He'd also feed me while I'm breastdeeding.  He's very understanding with my pumping my schedule, helps me clean my pump parts and makes sure I have a proper place to express my milk.  Another important thing is that he understands that not each cry is a hunger cry.  This is especially important now with the twins.  He would cuddle one of the girls while I feed the other one. And when they do need to be feed at the same time, he helps me position and latch them properly.  


My father and father-in-law are supportive in their own ways, too.  They never questioned my supply.  They make sure I eat healthy dishes, and would spend time with Ben so I can focus on the girls.  They may seem simple but it goes a long way.

It just goes to show how important it is to have the support from the men in our lives in order to achieve our goal to provide our children with the best start in life.

And a special shout-out to brother-in-law, ahia Popoy! You and achi are doing such a fine job with Basti.  I'm sure with your guidance, he'll be a loving big brother :) 


Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment