Thursday, March 22, 2012

Ben's first year at school: A Review

Dated  March 15 (but posted later to accommodate photos)

Today was Ben's last day for the school year.  I remember his child observation day like it was yesterday.  I was so nervous for him, like he was going to an entrance exam or something.  I was also quite concerned if we made the right choice sending him to school at such a young age.  Now, after a year at Explorations, I can say that I have no regrets enrolling him there.  I have seen the progress he has made over the past year and I know that going to school has a lot to do with it.






It's not the big milestones but rather the little things that make me  appreciate how much Ben has learned at school.  My favorites are the following:

* learning to say "no" and "stop" when he doesn't want something or someone to come near him ( as oppose to hitting)

* how he's motivated to pack away when he hears the "clean-up" song, which we also sing at home to get him to put away his toys.

* he sings nursery rhymes out of the blue

* knows how to do praying hands

* knows that he has to wash hands before and after meals (and wipe with a towel, too)

* can carry a conversation, answers when asked what he did at school today and who he played with.  He now knows a lot of words and likes to identify shapes and colors.

These little "big boy" moments and many others make me grateful that I have entrusted Ben to such caring, patient and very capable group of women at school.  Thanks Teachers Giselle and Jinky, and Yaya Mel!

No comments:

Post a Comment