Monday, October 20, 2014

Falling in Love again with Swimming

One of the things I am grateful for is that my parents took me to swimming classes at a young age.  Until now, it's the only sport I actually know and enjoy.  I'm no expert but I can do my own laps.  I'm also grateful that I'm able to share with Ben my love of swimming.  I am happy that he is more confident in the water.  He's been practicing his freestyle and backstroke regularly and is now learning the butterfly.  Recently, he has been able to swim the whole 25 meters by himself.  (super proud mom, here!) I'm glad that he has made friends with his other classmates and has developed a good relationship with his coaches. 

Several weeks ago, I've been looking for a way to have some "me" time and "destress".  The lack of sleep and the energy I spend on taking care of the kids the whole day has taken a toll on me.  I was grouchy most of the time.  Thankfully, Ben's coaches encouraged me to do some laps while he's taking his lessons.  At first I admit I was unsure if I had what it takes to exercise because I might be too tired, but I found out that  after doing some exercise, I feel much better and have an extra boost of energy.
This is one of may fave swimsuits.  It has been with me for more than 15 years, no kidding!  I remember because my parents bought this for me after I recovered from a surgery that left a big scar on my back.  This i the only swimsuit that covers it.

Swimming with Ben gives me the mommy break I need.  I'm thankful that even if I am in the pool with Ben, I have the opportunity to get some exercise on my own.  The silence and focus that is required when I do my laps is quite refreshing.  Also,  I get to have adult conversations with other parents and coaches.  One of my dreams is to one day be able to teach other kids how to swim. I'm not sure if I'll eventually have the confidence and skill to do it, but in Go's time maybe I'll get to do that in the future.

So what do you do to get some mommy-daddy break? Do share! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment