Friday, May 11, 2012

Preparing for breastfeeding: Helpful start-up tips

I didn't get a chance to attend a breastfeeding class when I was pregnant with Ben. I wish I did. Luckily I was able to get in touch with supportive mommy friends who helped me get through the first few months.

Attending a breastfeeding class is important. As a pregnant mom, you might be telling yourself "I'll just see what happens when the baby is born and just cross the bridge when I get there." , but knowing what you're getting into can be a big factor in ensuring you breastfeed successfully. Of course, there are no guarantees. However, I do know quite a number of moms who attended classes after giving birth that wished they attended earlier.

In line with this, I am inviting everyone to attend the LATCH Best Beginnings class this Saturday, May 12, 9am at the Medical City. The class tackles most of the topics that we studied as breastfeeding counselors. I highly encourage that you attend during your last trimester. You can opt to attend after giving birth but you might miss the opportunity to practice what your learn during the first few days of your baby's life which is very crucial to breastfeeding. Please do take note that this breastfeeding class is conducted every other month so you have to wait until July if you can't make it this month.

For soon-to-be parents who won't be able to attend the seminar but are serious in giving breastfeeding a shot, you might consider researching (or better yet, take a few moments to talk to a breastfeeding counselor) about the answers to the following questions. Think of it as a checklist :)

1.) What exactly are the benefits of breastfeeding? What's the difference between exclusively breastfeeding and mix-feeding?

2.) What can I expect in the first few weeks of breastfeeding my baby?

3.) How does my body produce milk?  How do I know I am producing enough?

4.) How can the people around me help me and my baby breastfeed successfully?

5.) How can I check if my baby is positioned and latching properly when feeding?

6.) What should I know about storing my milk for future use?

7.)  Is it really painful? What are the common breastfeeding problems and how can I handle them.

It has been a while since I wrote a breastfeeding post, and hopefully this will be helpful to new parents.  As they say in GI Joe, "Now you know, and knowing is half the battle "  Good Luck to all future mommies and daddies ! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment