This year, we are quite fortunate to have been given the opportunity to take Ben to the beach twice. Ben loves the beach, much like his gwakong (my father) and mama. It's fun watching Ben play with the sand and brave the waves. He has a tan now, hehe .. I guess that couldn't be helped given the amount of time we were in the sun .. at least he didn't get sunburned (yehey!). Here are some photos as well as some tips for going to the beach with a little one.
1. Wear the proper attire and bring appropriate toys. Ben enjoys his dump truck, shovel and rake. Meanwhile Daddy and I are happy with with his rash guards and beach shoes.
2. Sunblock Sunblock Sunblock! Our favorites: Shiseido Gentle Sun Protection Lotion and Indigo Baby's After Sun Gel. The formulation of the Shiseido sunblock is safe of babies and doesn't feel sticky. Meanwhile, Indigo Baby's After Sun Gel has a cooling effect that is quite soothing to the skin after being exposed to the sun. (Note: I'm not specifically endorsing these products, nor am I paid to do so. Just sharing a bit of our experience with them)
3. As much as possible avoid direct sunlight from 9am-3pm. These are the hours of the day when the rays are most harmful. Of course, sometimes it can't be help but it's good to know that it is advisable not to stay out side for too long during this time frame. It was hard for us to get Ben out of the water but we did our best to maximize the best time to stay by the beach
4. Don't forget the meals and the naps. Too much excitement can cause you and your little one to have so much fun that it's a challenge to make sure there is some rest time. One thing I have learned with Ben is the more tired he is, the more he fights his sleep. As for the meals, we finally tried not bringing home cooked food during our trip. It was very challenging for me to because I have to gauge whether or not how much he ate was enough but we survived, haha!. Bry and I also did our best to give him snacks in between like fruits or pastries.
5. Safely Explore and Enjoy !!! We're quite lucky Ben enjoys swimming in salt water. We even got him to swim with us when we went snorkeling. Imagine our pride when he saw a pawikan and said "turtle"! Being in the beach is one of the best opportunities to explore your child to the beauty of nature so make the most out of it.